Monday 18 March 2013

What are men to rocks and mountains - Trip to Pride and Prejudice scenary Stanage Edge

Whenever I think of rocks and mountains, the sentence in the titel from a Pride and Prejudice scene comes to my mind. And I see it right in front of me, Lizzy (Keira Knightley) on the rocks of Stanage Edge (Peak District) and her walk back to the village.

I decided that I cannot wait any longer and must go to see and walk to this breath-taking place myself. So those are my plans for one weekend during my  Germany/UK tour in April/May:

A weekend trip to Hathersage (train from London St Pancras) from where I will walk and climb through the moor and beautiful landscape of the Peak District up the mountains and rocks of Stanage Edge. Cannot wait! *_*



More information about Stanage Edge and the Peak District here on their official website:
http://www.visitpeakdistrict.com/Hathersage-Stanage-Edge/details/?dms=13&venue=6060274

A youtube video of a walk from Hathersage to Stanage Edge:

And last but not least, the reference to the title: =)

`what delight! what felicity! You give me fresh life and vigour. Adieu to disappointment and spleen. What are men to rocks and mountains? Oh! what hours of transport we shall spend! And when we do return, it shall not be like other travellers, without being able to give one accurate idea of any thing. We will know where we have gone -- we will recollect what we have seen. Lakes, mountains, and rivers shall not be jumbled together in our imaginations; nor, when we attempt to describe any particular scene, will we begin quarrelling about its relative situation. Let our first effusions be less insupportable than those of the generality of travellers.'' (Scene from Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen)

No comments:

Post a Comment